KUALA TERENGGANU, Sep 13 - Prize money of RM5,000 and an Umrah package for Muslims is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the person pictured torching Malaysian flag during the riot at Batu Burok, here Saturday.
The State Umno Youth would hand over the money to the informer upon the arrest of the person and the offer of reward is even open to opposition members.
“This is a promise that we will keep. We want the culprit to be nabbed,'' State Umno Youth chief Razali Idris said Thursday.
He said Umno Youth wanted to know the identity of the culprit and the same sentiment is shared by other Barisan Nasional Youth.
"This is not a question of political difference but more a matter of patriotism,'' he said.
A man wearing a helmet was captured in film while torching the flag on Saturday riot. State police chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Ayub Yaakob said police were still in the midst of identifying the man and was optimistic that the offender would be apprehended.
SAC Ayub said organisers of ceramah must apply for permits, adding that the police would only issued them if all prerequisites were met.
He said a series of ceramahs were organised without permits previously and police had only asked the organiser of Saturday’s gathering to apply for permission because of to the location of the gathering. mStarOnline
Opposition parties PAS and PKR today urged the police to reveal the identity of the man photographed burning the national flag during the clash in Kuala Terengganu over the weekend.
The photograph, which showed a man wearing a crash helmet, was published by almost all the major dailies.
In a joint press conference in Kuala Lumpur, both PAS and PKR stressed that the police were capable of identifying the culprit.
PKR Youth chief Shamsul Iskandar Akin said there were good reasons to suspect that those involved in the incident were agent provocateurs out to tarnish the name of opposition parties.
“We see the pictures in the newspapers and we know, they were taken by the police,” he claimed, adding that there were reports in the Chinese media stating that the police had confiscated the cameras of pressmen during the incident.