Court Of Appeal Says No To Abdul Razak's Bail Application
PUTRAJAYA, Jan 11 (Bernama) -- Political analyst Abdul Razak Abdullah Baginda who is charged with abetting the murder of Mongolian model Altantuya Shaariibuu will remain behind bars as he failed in his attempt Thursday to reverse the court's decision denying him to be freed on bail.
A three-man Court of Appeal bench headed by Justice Datuk Mokhtar Sidin unanimously struck out Abdul Razak's application to revise the Shah Alam High Court's decision on Jan 5 which had reverted his oral application to extend his bail which had expired on that day.
Mokhtar said the application Thursday was still premature.
On Jan 5, Shah Alam High Court judge Datuk K.N. Segara had refused to extend Abdul Razak's bail on the grounds that he (Abdul Razak) should make a formal bail application.
Following the decision Thursday, Abdul Razak, 46, will be sent to the Sungai Buloh prison and will remain there until a decision is made on the application.
However, Abdul Razak has another avenue, to enable him to be freed on bail, pending his trial which is set on March 10 next year.
This is made available to Abdul Razak as he had already filed a formal bail application as ordered by the Shah Alam High Court on Jan 5. His application will be heard on Jan 19. more..