Perhimpunan Hindraf cuba ganggu pilihanraya
0 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 11:23 PM.Malaysia police fire tear gas at flower protest - Khaleej Times
Tear gas scatters Malaysian 'flower power' - Reuters
Ethnic Indians resort to Gandhigiri, face police crackdown
Vvaishnnavi's mother said her daughter was terrified when police was firing tear gas. "She saw the scene from the car and was terrified," Eshwari said.
Saturday's rally came ahead of general elections on March 8, a year ahead of schedule.
Labels: Hindraf, Malaysia, Pak Lah, Pilihanraya
Hindraf 31 bebas dari tuduhan membunuh
1 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 10:36 PM.My sympathies for the A-G - Rocky's Bru
Attempted murder charges against 'Hindraf 31' dropped
The Times of India, Dec 17 - Malaysian prosecutors on Monday dropped attempted murder charges against 31 ethnic Indians who took part in a massive anti-government demonstration, a step that might assuage the feelings of the community protesting their alleged marginalisation in the Muslim-majority country.
Amid cheers and applause from relatives and friends of the detainees, Attorney-General Gani Patail also dropped all charges against five students who were part of the group of 31 activists of the non-governmental organisation Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf), arrested last month.
The charges of causing mischief and illegal assembly remain against 26 of the protesters, all of whom pleaded guilty at the Klang Sessions Court this morning.
All 26 were freed on bail, and will go on trial on December 27.
The so-called 'Hindraf 31' were slapped with the attempted murder charge, punishable by 20 years in jail, for allegedly injuring a policeman during the rally outside Batu Caves, which houses the temple of Lord Murugan.
Hindraf had given the call for the rally, declared as "illegal" by the government, which saw over 20,000 ethnic Indians assemble in front of the iconic Petronas twin towers and outside the Batu Caves on November 25 to protest alleged marginalisation of the community in the multi-racial country.
"I could be very strict but I don't think this is the time to be that strict," Gani Patail said adding that freeing them would be the "best course of action" in the public and national interest.
ISA - Kerajaan terdesak
1 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 6:42 AM.Malaysian activists held under controversial security - ManilaTimes
Guna ISA ke atas pemimpin Hindraf, PM tiada beza dengan pemimpin terdahulu - Harakah
ISA dragnet: 'Gov't is desperate'
MalysiaKini - Dec 13, 07
DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng said the party “unreservedly condemns the arrests.”
"We urge the government to unconditionally release them and charge them in an open court if they've committed a crime. At least, we can use proofs and evidences," he added.
He was responding to the arrests of Hindraf legal adviser P Uthayakumar, lawyers M Manoharan, R Kenghadharan, V Ganabatirau and organising secretary T Vasanthakumar.
The five were picked up from various locations in
According to Lim, who is a former ISA detainee himself, the government invoked the security law in desperation to silence dissent.
"We think the government is desperate to use the ISA,” he told a press conference in Parliament. “ Even though they claim they have proofs, they haven't made them public," he added.
‘Purely evil’
The opposition leader also described the arrest and detention of the five, who have been sent to the Kamunting Detention Centre to be held for two years, as “purely evil mala fide.”
"They first need to go through 60 days in detention. If the authorities feel that they are still a threat to the nation, their detention can be extended for another two years," he said.
The five were detained under Section 8(1) of the ISA after Internal Security Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi signed the detention orders.
Under Section 73 (1) of the ISA, the police can detain any individual for up to 60 days without a warrant, trial and without access to legal counsel if he is suspected to have "acted or is about to act or is likely to act in any manner prejudicial to the security of Malaysia or any part thereof or to maintenance of essential services therein or to the economic life thereof."
After 60 days, the minister can extend the period of detention without trial for up to two years, without submitting any evidence for review by the courts, by issuing a detention order, which is renewable indefinitely.
MP’s suspension
Citing DAP MP for Ipoh Barat M Kulasegaran's suspension, Lim said: "We're also very sad that while preventive detention is used outside Parliament, an Indian MP has been also prevented from voicing out (inside Parliament)."
"The suspension, on flimsy and baseless grounds, shows the growing intolerance towards Indian voices," he added.
Explaining that he did not agree with Hindraf's allegations that "ethnic cleansing" and genocide had taken place in the country, Lim, however, said Hindraf's statement on the grievances of Indians "is real."
He said DAP will be calling for an emergency central committee working meeting to address the issue.
"As a first step, we want to take the legal step by filing a habeas corpus," he said, adding that the party has also planned to set up a support group to assist the families of the detainees.
Malaysia bukan negara polis - Pak Lah
0 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 6:33 AM.
Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi raised the country`s expectations for reform when he took office in 2003He is not only weak, but..
Rakyat diajak segera ganti kerajaan tidak bertamadun
PutraJaya, Reuters, Dec 12 - Malaysia denied on Wednesday it was a police state, despite launching the biggest crackdown on anti-government activists in a decade.
Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar told Reuters the government was merely trying to ensure public safety in enforcing a blanket ban on street protests that has prompted opposition groups to accuse it of political repression ahead of a possible early election.
"We have never been a police state," he said in an interview in his office in the sprawling the administrative capital of Putrajaya.
"To say Malaysia is heading into a police state is an untrue statement and is an exaggeration, especially under our current PM. He is very careful, open and transparent. I think there is a limit to everything."
Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi raised the country's expectations for reform when he took office in 2003, vowing to fight corruption and usher in more transparent, open government.
Four years later, frustrations at the slow progress of his reform agenda, coupled with discontent over rising living costs, have boiled over into the biggest street protests in nine years.
More than 20,000 people defied riot police and took to the streets of the capital, Kuala Lumpur, in two separate protests over the past five weeks, on issues that chimed with the clamour for reform: fairer politics and more equal race relations.
The last major rally, staged by more than 10,000 ethnic Indians complaining of racial discrimination, drew world attention, particularly from India, whose prime minister voiced sympathy for the plight of the Indian diaspora in Malaysia.
Syed Hamid, who now has the job of explaining Malaysia's actions to the world, said the government tolerated criticism but street protests risked public security and stability.
"You have to distinguish between riotous behaviour and open and transparent discussion," he said. "There is no problem with open and transparent discussion."
RIOTOUS BEHAVIOUR
He also showed irritation at a media report that the U.S. State Department had also expressed criticism of the crackdown.
"If you look at every developed country, they don't tolerate riotous behaviour," he said, citing the large deployments of riot police in Western capitals during international summits such as the Asia Pacific Economic Forum and the World Trade Organisation.
"During APEC or WTO meetings, they close up roads in order not to allow demonstrators. We are (doing) nothing more than that."
Washington said Kuala Lumpur should allow freedom of expression and peaceful assemblies.
"We have repeatedly raised with Malaysian authorities our belief that citizens of any country should be allowed to peacefully assemble and express their views," Nancy Beck, U.S. State Department spokeswoman said in a remark originally reported by AFP.
"We also stated in our human rights report our belief that the Malaysian government places significant restrictions on the right to assemble peacefully."
Opposition parties and non-governmental bodies issued a joint statement on Wednesday seeking an urgent meeting with Abdullah to discuss the "recent crises" and press for national unity.
"We intend to purse the agenda of national unity and reconciliation ..., press on with our demands for free and fair elections, and work towards resolving the serious national problems we face," said de facto opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim.
The risk of street protests turning into riots is a real fear among many Malaysians, particularly those who lived through the last major eruption of racial violence in Kuala Lumpur in 1969.
Hundreds died in those riots between ethnic Malays, who make up most of the population, and ethnic Chinese. The current prime minister played a leading role in the immediate aftermath of that crisis to find a political solution to the racial troubles.
But the opposition accuses Abdullah now of using public order and the memory of 1969 as an excuse to stifle peaceful dissent.
In seeking to protect public security, police moved last weekend in the early morning to halt an annual human-rights march by just 60 people in the near-deserted streets of Kuala Lumpur.
Syed Hamid accused Anwar, sacked and jailed after he fell out with the then Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad in 1998, of instigating and organising the protests.
"When you start to instigate and you start to throw aspersion that can cause people to get emotional ... to organise demonstrations is not good. We have been very tolerant of him."
Labels: Bersih, Hindraf, Judiciary, Malaysia, Pak Lah, Polis
Bukan etnik cleansing tetapi political cleansing - Mustafa
0 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 11:15 PM.
KUALA TERENGGANU, 4 Dis: PAS mendesak Kerajaan menghentikan 'political cleansing' di negara ini sebagaimana yang berlaku sekarang terhadap penyokong dan pemimpin politik yang tidak bersama dengan Barisan Nasional (BN).Mustafa yang juga Ketua Pengarah Pilihan Raya PAS mengulas dakwaan Hindraf (Hindu Action Force) yang mendakwa berlakunya etnik cleansing di negara ini sebagaimana yang berlaku dalam Peristiwa Kampung Medan tahun 2002 lalu.
Tuduhan Hindraf itu terkandung dalam memorandum yang diserahkan mereka kepada kerajaan Britain.
"Tuduhan bahawa berlakunya etnik cleansing sebagaimana yang didakwa Hindraf adalah melampau kerana ia tidak berlaku," kata Mustafa mengulas dakwaan Hindraf itu. Siasah
BN longgar lutut, tapi rakyat terus tertipu?
2 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 11:45 PM.The hotline will be connected to the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), an ethnic Indian party in the ruling coalition, said a senior official, who declined to be named.
He said Indians will be able to call and complain about any grievances they may have.
He said Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has also instructed MIC to set up a committee to study the Indians' grievances. Agencies
See also:
The MIC will continue to work with the other coalition parties in the Barisan National to upgrade the socio-economic status of the Indian community in the country, reported Malaysia Nanban.
Hisham: Don’t blame the Indians
People have been urged not to blame the Indian community for the illegal gathering organised by the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) last Sunday.
Labels: BN, Hindraf, Malaysia, Pilihanraya
Hindraf: PAS kesal hak asasi rakyat dicabuli
1 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 10:29 PM.KUALA LUMPUR, 25 Nov (Hrkh) - PAS melahirkan rasa kecewa dan dukacita di atas tindakan kerajaan yang menyekat dan menghalang perhimpunan Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) yang diadakan sebentar tadi sehingga tercetus insiden tembakan gas pemedih mata ke arah orang ramai yang hadir menyuarakan pandangan mereka secara aman.
Setiausaha Agung PAS Dato' Kamaruddin Jaafar berkata hak asasi manusia tanpa mengira latar belakang keturuan, bangsa dan agama untuk melahirkan pendapat dan menyatakan bantahan harus dipatuhi dan dibenarkan oleh kerajaan yang mendakwa mengamalkan sistem demokrasi dalam negara ini.
"PAS berpendirian, walaupun tidak semestinya kita bersetuju dengan pendapat dan apa yang mereka suarakan namun semua pihak harus menghormati hak asasi mereka untuk menyuarakan pandangan dan berhimpun secara aman," katanya ketika menghubungi Harakahdaily
"Kesimpulan yang kita buat ialah, himpunan hari ini adalah sebagai isyarat dan tanda kegelisahan sebilangan besar kaum India dengan dasar kerajaan yang tidak memberi manfaat kepada golongan miskin dan tertindas sehingga nasib dan kebajikan meraka terabai," katanya.
Katanya kerajaan mesti mengambil pendekatan mendengar 'suara hati' mereka dan berusaha menyelesaikan tuntutan atau masalah yang dihadapi berbanding 'menyerang' mahupun mengambil sikap tertutup untuk berbincang termasuk menuduh dengan pelbagai cemuhan perkauman yang semakin mengundang perasaan tidak senang mereka terhadap kerajaan selama ini.
"Ini adalah lanjutan dan sambungan yang membuktikan kerajaan BN telah gagal menangani nasib masyarakat berbilang kaum yang semakin hari semakin terhimpit dan terbeban nasib mereka baik dari segi ekonomi, sosial dan pendidikan," katanya.
Himpunan Hindraf - Tembakan gas pemedih mata mula dilepaskan
0 Comments Published by TasekPauh Blogspot on at 10:11 PM.Video klip dari al-Jazeera
Himpunan Hindraf:Tembakan gas pemedih mata mula dilepaskan
Oleh Azamin Amin
Harakahdaily
Polis dipercayai bertindak demikian bagi menyuraikan para peserta dan orang ramai yang telah pun berkumpul di beberapa lokasi dalam jumlah yang besar untuk bersama-sama berarak ke bangunan Suruhanjaya Tinggi British di Jalan Ampang pada 10 pagi ini.
Beberapa jalan berdekatan bangunan tersebut telah diadakan sekatan jalan raya dan Jalan Ampang telah ditutup kepada pengguna jalan raya semenjak 3 pagi tadi.
Dilaporkan juga, polis bertindak melepaskan gas pemedih mata ke arah orang ramai dan kumpulan peserta yang berkumpul di sekitar Batu Caves dan juga KLCC.
Tinjauan Harakah juga mendapati beberapa buah bas yang membawa para pserta kaum India sedang berhenti di sekitar Jalan Tun Razak berdekatan dengan Perpustakaan Negera manakala turut kelihatan beberapa kumpulan kecil seramai kira-kira 10 orang daripada arah Jalan Raja Muda Musa dan Jalan Tun Razak dilihat berjalan menuju ke arah Jalan Ampang, dipercayai untuk menyertai himpunan tersebut.
Mereka dipercayai terdiri daripada ribuan kaum India dari seluruh pelusuk negara yang tiba di ibukota sejak semalam lagi bagi menyertai himpunan tersebut yang menjangkakan kehadiran 10,000 para peserta.
Hindraf merancang untuk berhimpuan di luar bangunan Suruhanjaya Tinggi British di Kuala Lumpur pagi ini untuk menyerahkan petisyen kepada Ratu Elizabeth ll untuk mendapatkan sokongan baginda terhadap saman yang difailkan oleh Pengerusi Hindraf, P Waythamoorthy.
Dalam samannya itu, Waythamoorthy menamakan kerajaan British kerana membawa rakyat India ke Malaysia untuk menjadi buruh dan mengeksploitasi mereka selama 150 tahun.
Beliau menuntut AS$4 trillion (RM14 trillion) - atau AS$1 juta bagi setiap orang India yang tinggal di Malaysia.
Dalam pada itu akhbar hari ini juga melaporkan amaran Timbalan Perdana Menteri, Dato' Seri Najib Tun Razak kepada orang ramai yang menyertai perhimpunan haram di ibu negara esok tentang risiko akibat perbuatan mereka, termasuk dikenakan tindakan undang-undang.
Menurutnya, perhimpunan yang tidak mendapat permit daripada pihak polis adalah menyalahi undang-undang negara dan mereka yang terbabit boleh didakwa di mahkamah.
